I hope you all had a good weekend and enjoyed the public holiday on Saturday.
Let’s start with the BIG news! Our Mid-Amateur team contested the final against King David Mowbray on Sunday. They played at Metropolitan and Westlake won emphatically! The final score 5,5 – 2,5.
Well done gentlemen! We are all extremely proud of you! The team consisted of Shaun Le Roux, Brendan Mackay Leslie, Elton James, Pietie Loubser, Weyers Janse Van Rensburg, Marc Coran, Duanne Galloway, Paul Bezuidenhout, Tyrol Lauret Neil Campbell, Robbie Larsen and Jono Watkins-Baker. We were unbeaten this season – an incredible result.
Grab ‘n Go
From 1 May, halfway house moved back to Grab ‘n Go for winter. The reason for this is speed. Shorter days mean less golf rounds, so we have to speed up halfway house to try and free up some space for extra rounds for our members. As a result, the menu is smaller, with quick-to-make-and-eat items available. You are still very welcome to enjoy a seated breakfast or meal before or after your game, but halfway is a quick and literal grab and go. No seated meals at halfway (exactly as it was when we returned after lockdown). You will see the Grab ‘n Go menu in the Halfway House for your information. The full menu remains available in the bar after your game. Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
Pop up restaurant
This Friday the pop up restaurant is upstairs. The menu can be seen here. There are also great drinks specials available. The musicians are a brilliant duo “T Minus 2”. They play all the classics and for anyone who loves old favourites, this is for you! – The weekly members draw is up to R2 480 along with all our weekly drinks raffles.
Please book with Carmen this week at email@example.com as Erin is away. Family and friends are very welcome. See you on Friday.
Investec S.A Ladies Open
With a week to go, all our volunteers have been informed about what is required when assisting at the S.A. Open next week. If anyone volunteered and was not informed, please call Carmen at the club.
• Clearing of lockers, trolley bays and cart garages
There has been some confusion about this point. To clarify, please note the following:
– The competitors will NOT be using any of our lockers or trolley bays.
– If you do not need your clubs or push carts, you can leave them where they are.
– If you intend to use your clubs/push carts from the 10th – 16th of May, kindly remove them from your lockers before Monday the 10th of May, as members may not be in the clubhouse for the week of the SA Open.
– The same applies for anything stored in your golf cart garages – there will be no access to the garages from Monday 10th to Sunday 16th May inclusive. The SuperSport trucks will be in this area and will most probably be blocking any possible access. Please remove any items you require by this Sunday.
• Members wanting to watch golf as VIP’s
– A reminder that if you would like to watch the ladies tee off and finish their rounds from the Upstairs members bar, you need to mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– State the day you wish to attend – Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Also include ALL names if you are asking on behalf of anyone else.
– There are only 50 places per day and only 20 places on the Sunday.
– This is first come, first served.
– Volunteers will not have automatic access. You still need to apply as above please.
– Remember access is by the rear service entrance and up the rear service stairs. Only the upstairs bar and men’s toilet are open to members on this list. The rest of the clubhouse is strictly out of bounds.
Names and prices of clubs offering reciprocity for the S.A. Open week are as follows:
• Paarl – R280
• Stellenbosch – R295
• Atlantic Beach – R295
• Clovelly – R300
• Royal Cape – R280
• Bellville – R280
• King David Mowbray – R275
• Parow – R260
• Devonvale – R300
• Somerset West – R250
• Milnerton – R250
• Pearl Valley – R495
• Metropolitan – R265
• Kuils River – R215
• De Zalze – R320
• Worcester – R195
Visitors on Member Days
Now that we have switched to Winter time-sheets with considerably less time slots daily, the pressure on availability on member competition days has once again increased. Please take note that any visitors on a Wednesday or Saturday MUST be approved by the club captain. Kindly email Carmen at email@example.com if you would like a visitor to play on a Wednesday or Saturday. Thanks for your co-operation in this regard.
New course ratings and hole stroking
In terms of the WHS manual, all golf courses should be re-rated every 5 years. Hence, our course was re-rated by Golf RSA in March and this came into effect from 1 May. We mentioned it in the newsletter last week, but thought it a good idea to explain what this means to you, our members. The rating is slightly easier now as we have shorter rough compared to 6 years ago, when this was last done. In addition the approaches to the greens are more open now, with more fairway areas around the greens and some fairways have been widened. As a result, your course handicap will now be lower. This is printed on your slip when you pay in the Pro Shop.
At the same time the Golf Ops committee did an analysis of the hole difficulty rankings, following the completion of all the Club Championships against the Hole Stroke Index adopted as per the GolfRSA guidelines. After careful consideration and whilst still observing the set out guidelines, it was agreed that two minor changes be made.
These alterations are reflected on the new scorecards:
• Hole 8 and Hole 9 Stroke Indexes are swopped. Hole 8 new SI 13. Hole 9 new SI 9
• Hole 12 and Hole 14 Stroke Indexes are swopped. Hole 12 new SI 12. Hole 14 new SI 14
S.A. Amateur Strokeplay
28 – 30 April at Devonvale Golf Club
Westlake had a number of entrants and they did us proud.
• Pietie Loubser came 3rd on -4
• Elton James tied 9th on +2
• Shaun Le Roux tied 22nd on +9
• Mark Coram tied 50th on +17
• Weyers Janse Van Rensburg tied 52nd on +18
Well done gentlemen.
1 May 2021
4 Ball Alliance Stableford (Morning Field)
1st: Liam Pardoe, Gareth Clark, Paul Vincent, Chris Gracie – 86
2nd: Billy Domingo, Wayne Arendse, Trevor Mare, Jeff Milliken – 83
• Liam Pardoe 79-11=68
1 May 2021
4 Ball Alliance Stableford (Afternoon Field)
1st: Shaun Nortier, Martin Hill, Garth Middleton, Dean Norman – 85
2nd: Dave Borthwick, Barry Downes, Andre Nieuwoudt, Stuart Gedrim – 83
• Dennis Thane 74 – 7 = 67
• John Rivett 69 + 1 = 70
• Dave Borthwick 77 – 9 = 68
Top 16 matchplay
Results from Saturday 1 May
• Christian Helmbold bt Mark Coram – 3/2
• Neil Campbell bt Weyers Janse van Rensburg – 4/3
• Zack Miller bt Byron Mohr – 7/6
• Uli Boezaart bt Brendan Mackay Leslie – 6/5
• Elton James bt Kieran Urquhart – 4/2
• Paul Bezuidenhout bt Jonathan Watkins-Baker – 5/4
• Rodney Sleep bt Nigel Martindale – 1 Up
• Gerhard Fortuin bt Geoff Tuck – 8/7
• Grant Hackett bt Brent Lyall – 7/6
• Michael Nevin bt Trevor Rees – 5/4
• Pierre Andre Le Roux bt David Fairbrother – 3/2
• Lee-Roy Retief bt Christo Lineveldt – 1 Up
• William Wilson bt Peter R Davis – 2/1
• Guy McPhun bt Stephen Du Pont – 1 Up
• Clay Norwitz bt Asher Joffee – 2/1
• Iain Usher bt Michael Norwitz – 4/3
• Jared Goddard bt Darren De Wet – 1 Up
• Zack Burger bt Terence Reynolds – 3/1
• Lee Balding by John Brayne – 3/2
• Andrew Spagnoletti bt Neil Hamilton – 2/1
• Ron Clark bt Manoli Evlambiou – Won on 20th Hole.
• Nick Steenekamp bt Robbie Larson – 5/4
Have a great week!
The Westlake Team