So the Bokke are in the quarterfinals. We play against Japan at 12h15 on Sunday and there will be specials in the bar.
· Stellenbrau is R65 for 2 x 500ml draughts.
· Springbok shooters will also be on special.
· Food available in the bar too.
Obviously some rugby fans may cancel golf on Sunday, but if you do, come and watch the game at the club where the “Gees” is! If rugby isn’t your thing, book your golf today.
While on the subject of the bar, a reminder to those of you that are concerned about drinking and driving and still enjoy your beer, that we stock a choice of 4 non-alcohol beers for your enjoyment. Chat to the bar staff about options on offer.
Are you feeling lucky?
The Friday’s is up to an impressive R6 920! Remember you have to be in the bar to win if we draw your name. Pop down for a drink and who knows – it could be you. The golf this Friday is a little different due to the annual Wynberg Boys Golf Day.
· AM field – 07h00 shotgun start
· PM Field – Wynberg Boys Golf Day 12h00 shotgun start.
Next week Monday and Tuesday is hollowtining. We traditionally use this time for spring-cleaning and the bar will be closed on Monday 21st for this purpose. We have arranged reciprocity at a number of clubs:
· Durbanville – R227
· Parow – R200
· Milnerton – R270
· Somerset West – R250
· Rondebosch – R240
· Clovelly – R270
Other course news is that repairs to the 16th green are progressing very well. The area being repaired is fairly large but the team are doing a superb job. Overall the course is stunning and we have been inundated with positive reviews.
Wags Old Boys Day
The winners of our Wags Old Boys Day on Tuesday were Brendon Taylor (sponsor) Keith Henderson, Steve O’Sullivan, Mike Richardson, Chris Banks.
Well done gentlemen.
· The Saturday morning field has a sponsor this week after all. A special word of thanks to Tim Watkins-Baker and Fred Louw for their kind sponsorship!
· The Saturday afternoon field is sponsored by the League of Gentlemen. This annual day has become a real institution at Westlake. May the best gentlemen win!
· Foster Cup semi-finals:
NB! 1st and 2nd place playoff moved to 16 November due to competitors competing in the above-mentioned day.
3rd and 4th playoff will still be on Saturday. Good luck gents.
Weyers does well
At the Metropolitan Open played on Sunday, Weyers Janse van Rensburg fared best of the Westlake entries, tied for 6th place on 140, 5 shots behind the winner. Kyran Hawkins was the next best placed Westlake member on 143. Well done to all our guys for taking part!
A reminder that the club AGM is just over a month away on the 18th November. Any written submissions for inclusion on the agenda should reach me by close of business on Friday – 1 month prior to the date of the meeting.
Du Toitskloof Festivities
Next weekend is the hugely popular Du Toitskloof weekend.
· Friday is the BIG Party, with the shootout on the 6th at 17h00 for everyone who had a 2 Club there in the past year. That is followed by the R10K draw in the bar and supper available followed by Nite Golf and a party! All the info here.
- Saturday is also sponsored by Du Toitskloof wines as is Open Mixed on the Sunday. NB. We will make a call on possibly moving Open Mixed if the Springboks beat Japan, as the semi-final will be on that Sunday – more info on this after the weekend.Greenkeepers RevengeA reminder about another fun day in the Festival this year – Greenkeepers Revenge! Unlike a few years back where things got a bit silly, this is a serious day with proper golf and some GREAT prizes from all Raymond’s suppliers. There will be a few tough pin placements, but that is part of the challenge. Entries are open so book your spot with Carmen. It is on the 22nd November.
The Senior Classic is a little closer and all ladies and gents over 55 are welcome to play. Book now! All the info is here.
In the ladies Leagues, things are looking encouraging for our teams in the play-offs in two weeks’ time with some good results on Tuesday. Well done everyone and thank you to the Bronze reserves Pat, Cherie and Brigitte for stepping in and also Michelle Grundy in the final hour. Results on Tuesday were as follows:
· Silver 1 beat Rondebosch
· Silver 2 halved with Atlantic Beach
· Bronze 1 beat Clovelly
· Bronze 2 halved with Somerset West
· Bronze 3 beat Steenberg
In the men’s league, 1st Challenge take on Rondebosch on Saturday. Good luck gentlemen!
The ladies AGM will be held on Thursday 7th November and not the 5th as originally stated. This is due to the League teams doing so well and clashing with the original Tuesday.
Correction: I previously mentioned the new Rules of Golf came into force in October, but of course it was the new Handicap rules. The new rules of golf have been in effect since January. Apologies for any confusion caused!
Have a fantastic week and enjoy the rugby!