This is our last newsletter while we remain operational, although we will still manage to keep lines of communication open from time to time during the lockdown.
We are deeply saddened by the news that Dave Burdett passed away last night. He was 61 and had been a member for 19 years. He was a leading light in the SLOGS and greatly loved by us all. Our sincere condolences to his family. He will be missed. Rest in peace, Dave.
Yesterday was our last members’ competition until we return and the lockdown is lifted. Golf today (Thursday) is still available, but please take note of the following:
– No-one will be allowed entry to the club as from Thursday 26th at 18:00.
– Please ensure that you have removed any items from the premises that you would need with you during the lockdown, before 18:00 on Thursday. It is not necessary to empty your locker and remove all your items. Only the essentials.
– There will be no Halfway House / Catering on Thursday 26th.
– The bar will not be open at all on Thursday 26th.
– No nine holes on Thursday 26th. The last tee-off time will be 13:00.
– The Pro Shop will close on Thursday at 13:00.
– Basic amenities to the clubhouse will be shut down from 17:00 on Thursday 26th e.g. Water, Electricity supply to certain areas etc. Any members still in the clubhouse at 17:00 will be asked to vacate the clubhouse.
– The Open Mixed scheduled for the 19th April is cancelled.
Westlake Golf Club has created a “Lockdown Fund” for the caddies, in order to alleviate the immense financial strain that they will experience in the time ahead. Members are welcome to donate to this fund if they are able.
Westlake Golf Club
Acc #: 1130996441
Branch #: 123209
Please use “Lockdown” as your payment reference.
In addition, a wonderful set of KWV wines is currently on auction on our Facebook page. The proceeds of this will go towards our part-time bar-staff, who are also feeling the immediate effects of this lockdown. This Facebook post is currently live, so please place your bid as a comment on the page.
Club Championships were scheduled for the end of May this year, but these dates have been postponed.
The new dates are as follows:
• Ladies and 5 Day Club Championships – 5 & 6 September 2020
• Main Club Championships – 26 & 27 September and 3 & 4 October
The reasons for the postponement are as follows:
• Registration and advertising time would be limited should we go ahead with the original dates. Also, ordering of items for golfers needs a lead time and this would be tight.
• Getting the course ready in time after such a long lay-off could be an issue. We would want the course to be at its best and we still do not have final clarity on whether or not any form of maintenance will be allowed in the next 3 weeks. If not, this will lengthen the recovery time.
• Possible extended lockdown. At this point, no one has any idea if the lockdown will be successful. The Government could extend this, should the results not be satisfactory.
• People also need to plan their lives and such short notice could have a negative effect on numbers.
It is therefore felt that postponing would be the best way to go.
Security of private possessions
The club will maintain its security presence on the premises throughout the lockdown and increase security levels at night at additional cost. However, we advise that leaving your personal possessions on the premises must be at your own risk. Kindly ensure you are adequately insured in the unlikely event that you may suffer some sort of loss. This is especially important in the case of golf carts stored in garages.
These are unprecedented times and we will all need to stand together as one nation and one community. The weeks and months ahead will require calm, understanding, hard work, dedication and compromise on every level. I am confident that our wonderful club will emerge revitalised and stronger than ever, thanks to its amazing and passionate members and staff.
The Trustees, Committee, management and staff are committed to continue working from home where possible, to ensure the club is safe and ready to re-open as quickly as possible after the lockdown is lifted.
May we take this opportunity to thank each and every one of our members for your fantastic, ongoing support and may God bless you and your families during this challenging time.
Westlake Management and Committee