From Dave’s Desk.
The lovely weather continues, interspersed with a little rain here and a little (strong) wind there. June is upon us and with that, winter properly sets in which means shorter days and less tee times.
While on that thought, please remember it is grab-and-go on Competition days and that you should make every effort to play Ready Golf and keep up with players in front of you at all times. If we all make the effort, the players teeing off last will also finish their game.
Don’t forget your divot and pitchmark repairs and please rake the bunkers properly.
What’s coming up?
There are plenty of things to look forward to in the weeks ahead:
• Bookings are open for Fathers and Sons on the 9th June. This is also open to daughters and mothers, grandparents etc. The idea is to have the older generation playing with the younger, so any combination is welcome!
• Father’s Day on the 16th June will be celebrated with a delicious buffet with all the trimmings at the club. Bookings can be made directly with Peter or Lindsey.
• Club knockout is starting soon. There is a list in the foyer. Cost is R70 per person, so please put your name down and pay up front if possible. The first games will be on the 13th July. Entries close on the 28th June. Only open to full members.
• US Open Quiz evening – This popular event is back and everyone is welcome to test their general knowledge. Open to family and friends too, so enter your team – Wednesday 12th June 18h30 for 19h00.
• THE BIG ONE! The June R10K draw is on Friday 14th June and we have superb Live Music – Kai Connor will be performing live. He sells out popular venues wherever he performs so don’t miss this. There will be a full Curry Buffet available with all the trimmings. Peter and his team specialise in curries so join us for a warm winter evening of great music, delicious food and fellowship.
Who knows, maybe you win R10 000 too! Family and friends welcome. Book your table at the club office. View all of the information here.
Results and events
Ladies League Results
Our ladies played league on Tuesday and the results are as follows:
Bronze 1 beat Parow 3-0
Bronze 2 lost to Erinvale 1-2
Bronze 3 beat Steenberg 2.5 – 0.5
Silver 1 beat Rondebosch 6-0
Silver 2 lost to Atlantic Beach 2-4
The next ladies league fixture is Tuesday 18 June.
Harry Solomon League
The Harry Solomon side played Strand on Saturday, winning 5 – 3. The home team managed a 4-0 whitewash. Well done gents! The next fixture is this Sunday against Cape Peninsula Golf Club. Good luck guys!
Wags and Bags Golf Day
The Wags and Bags golf day has been run annually for many years with the last 3 years under the able stewardship of Derek Magnussen and David Draude. It was held last Tuesday and was once again a well- supported and fun day. The winners on 90pts were Dave Smith, Jill Baxter, Richard Smith and Gill Smith.
Please take note
On the course, Raymond and his team are continuing to remove cynodon from greens outside member days. The 1st hole will be closed on Monday next week. They will then move to 2nd green on Thursday and Friday. The extra par 3 will be used on those days.
Thanks for your understanding with this vital programme.
Weekly Tips with EOGA
With Coach Alec Ahrens
Here are a couple of drills to make more putts:
Set up 4 distances around a hole:
Make 5 putts in a row on each peg.
Go on to the course and:
Have a great week!
Dave & the wonderful Westlake team