So the Bokke made it! As mentioned on Monday, the Golf Ops Committee met on Monday to discuss the World Cup Final this Saturday. The decision was taken NOT to have shotgun starts, due to all the competitions and happenings (League, Foster Cup final etc.) as well as the extremely early 6 am start for the morning field.
The other decision was NOT to move Monthly Medal due to the calendar being so full, up to the end of the year. Members are free to choose whether they would like to play golf or watch the game (or a combination of the 2).
The final on Saturday will obviously be shown at the club and Nick has some great drinks specials on offer and food will also be available. Come and join us and bring family and friends along.
Are you feeling lucky?
The members draw this Friday is up to a very healthy R7 160! The draw will be DOWNSTAIRS due to the Mdala Trust Golf Day upstairs. Make sure you are in the bar to stand a chance of winning.
Let this be music to your ears!
While on the subject of Friday Draws, we have a real treat for you on the 15th November. This is the next R10K draw. We have booked the Deep South Band to play live music. They are fronted by legendary guitarist and musician Mike Pilot. Mike was lead guitarist for 2 chart topping bands, the Rising Sons in the late 60’s and early 70’s and Stingray in the late 70’s and early 80’s. (The guitar riffs on the chart topping single “Better the devil you know” are legendary!)
He has produced and played with too many top musicians to mention here and has a recording business in Hout Bay. The five members of the band have all been carefully selected for their skill and talent and if you enjoy great live music, this is not an evening you want to miss! Tables can be booked with Peter or Lindsay as usual. Family and friends are very welcome to join you and there will be great food on sale too.
Du Toitskloof Weekend
As everyone is aware, we made the correct call by moving the Du Toitskloof weekend to the 29th November. The rain this past weekend broke all records! Friday the 29th is the Du Toitskloof shootout on the 6th hole, Nite Golf and the final R10K draw for the year, so diarise the evening. It will be great fun. Open Mixed will be Sunday 1 December.
Other dates to remember include the following:
• 4 November – Westlake Pro Am. Reciprocity available at the following clubs on Monday:
Milnerton – R270
Somerset West – R250
Kuils River – R185
Parow – R200
Stellenbosch – R255
Clovelly – R270
• 11 November – Senior Classic (Fully booked). Just remember to confirm your place with Carmen please, as there is a waiting list.
• 20 November – Wednesday Classic (A few spots still open)
• 22 November – Greenkeepers Revenge – a few 4-Balls still available. Book with Carmen today. A real test of golf with no silly gimmicks, just tough but fair pin and tee placings. Great prizes and lots of fun.
• 23 November – Saturday Classic (A few spots still open)
• 23 November – BIG BASH. Brilliant Live Music, delicious food, drawing of all the Raffles, Our biggest party of the year! Book your tables with Carmen. Family and friends most welcome!
In addition the 2 AGM’s take place in November.
· Ladies AGM – Thursday 7th
· Main AGM – Monday 18th
We will miss you dearly Jan van Dam
We were deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Jan van Dam on Monday. He was 77 and a member of the club for 33 years. Our sincere condolences to his family and many friends.
Ladies League News
Our ladies Leagues were all involved in Quarterfinals this week. The results were as follows:
• Silver 1 (Singles matchplay) drew with KD/Mowbray but think we have qualified for the semi final on “differentials”. We await confirmation from WP Golf.
· Silver 2 (Singles Matchplay) sadly narrowly lost to Clovelly with three matches going the distance but halving. This was an excellent season for them, especially as they were top of the overall logs with most points and seeded No.1. Well done to Sonja and Morag for theirr superb captaincy throughout the year.
• Bronze 1 (4BBB Matchplay) lost 1/2 to Somerset West. Well done Isobel for steering her team to this stage and for being a motivated captain and keeping everyone in touch.
• Bronze 2 (4BBB Matchplay) lost to Durbanville who were last years’ winners. Two matches were halved and one lost. Thanks Jane Waters for guiding her team to this stage
• Bronze 3 (4BBB Matchplay) beat Clovelly with two convincing wins and one match halved. They will play winners of Royal Cape or Strand.
All our semi-final matches will be played next Tuesday at venues to be confirmed.
Men League News
Premier League have a BIG game this weekend against KD Mowbray at Strand. Winning this could win us the league so good luck guys! Bring it home again.
Planning an event?
A reminder that the club hires out the upstairs venue for parties and functions and as a member, you qualify for a whopping 50% discount! Using your member’s card to pay for drinks also gives 20% off there, so using Westlake for your functions is a cost effective way to celebrate, party or even hold a serious conference. We can do it all. Contact me for further info.