WESTLAKE AGED GOLFERS’ SOCIETY (WAGS)
(THE SENIORS SECTION OF WESTLAKE GOLF CLUB)
We offer you a sincere welcome to WAGS and draw the following guidelines to your attention.
Late in 2009 WAGS was approved as the Westlake Golf Club Senior Mens’ Section under a Club bye-law – albeit retaining the existing WAGS rules and regulations, game formats, sponsors and any previous decisions relating to membership. WAGS membership is open to all male, playing members of Westlake Golf Club over the age of 55 with an official handicap.
WAGS play every Tuesday at the first available times in the morning. Four balls are made up strictly in the order of arrival of the members who must enter their names chronologically, leaving no gaps, on a specially provided list in the Pro Shop. Pre-arranged partnerships are not permitted except when playing with an invited guest or, of necessity, for those members who share a drive cart. Players must also indicate, on the list, if they will NOT be playing the following week to enable the Club to allocate sufficient tee off times.
Whilst WAGS is essentially a golfing society, it is equally a forum for Senior Golfers to socialize; therefore all players are expected to attend the prize-giving. A member who is unable, for any reason, to be in attendance must proffer his apologies to the Spokesperson of the day. Prizewinners not present will forfeit any prize to which they may have been entitled.
Whilst WAGS is a society for the members to play together regularly, the Club offers a special affiliated Seniors guest rate (over 55) for visitors as a privilege on Tuesday mornings. It is expected that invited guests will be restricted to family and visitors to Cape Town and the same guest should not be invited on a regular basis. Please do not abuse this privilege. It is required that guests will play in the normal “ad hoc” four ball format and be present, with their sponsor, at prize-giving.
* The format of play is normally a four ball alliance with two scores to count.
* In the event of a three ball, the players will add 6 points to their total score unless a special procedure is advised for a specific game.
* WAGS do not stop at the half way house after nine holes but play straight through..
* Players over 65 years old may play off the forward blue (senior) Tees. It is not mandatory, but it is recommended that members avail themselves of the option as it should be advantageous to their team-mates.
* There is a R10-00 kitty donation per member per game at the prize-giving where the winners of the day receive R20 each and the second placed team receives R10 each. The balance of the collection goes into the WAGS Kitty. In the event of a tie the ‘one tie all tie’ rule applies except on Sponsored Days when a count-out on age will apply and thereafter, if necessary, the Club count-out procedures. On Sponsored Days the R10 kitty donation still applies.
* WAGS allow placing by one card length on the fairways unless local rules allow an improved placing.
* All normal Club and SAGA rules apply to the WAGS with the exception of the unique WAGS procedures set out above.
Approximately once per month a “sponsored day”, with prizes, is arranged. Sponsorship is provided either by volunteer members, the WAGS kitty or internal /external sources. To be eligible to take part in these games the member must donate R100 per annum to the fund for prizes, have an official handicap and play regularly on normal WAGS Tuesdays. For these special games, members MUST complete the entry form, with either a YES or NO and their handicap, from which a draw is compiled with allocated tee off times. The entry list will be circulated at the normal games’ prize giving, be posted on the WAGS notice board in the foyer and the draw will be sent to members by e-mail approximately two weeks before the game. A lunch is arranged after some Sponsored Days and when this applies a separate column is provided on the entry sheet to indicate if you will be partaking thereof or not.
Members MUST ensure that when they enter their names they WILL be able to play on the specified date.
All the Sponsored Day dates are reflected on the annual Fixture List on the notice board so there is no reason to not be aware of such dates - and your own commitments - well in advance.
Guests are not encouraged on Sponsored Days but if a member is obliged to bring a guest, the guest will not be eligible for a prize nor will the guest’s score be counted for the team - so the team will therefore be scored as a three ball.
WAGS is managed by a Spokesman, with two assistants. The current Spokesman is Roger Goodwin (021 712 5654) assisted by George Poulsom (021 788 1807) (Finance) and Doug Boyd (021 712 7875) (Games Organizer).
100 Club Draw – MAY 2013 Voucher Winners 1 Steve Mochrie – R 250 Voucher 2 Eric Botha – R 150 3 Mike Bryant – R 150 4 Jim Higgins – R 150 5 Peter Jurd– R 150 6 ...
Hello All! I’m back from my leave and really looking forward to a very busy three months ahead. We have festival week at the end of May, the Westlake Open in June, the Westlake Foursomes in July, 2...